Monday, April 24, 2006

C4C: Meringue Mice

My sons, like all children I guess, are totally fascinated by animals and insects. I managed to keep things under control as far as pets go. We are very happy to have our black bunny named Junior and Zacky, our 110 pounds (50 kg) Great Pyrenees dog. It's more than enough and I'm furiously resisting my kids' harassment for a cat, a pair of birds, a turtle, few mice...

I make them animal shaped food stuff whenever I have the occasion or time. Each year at Easter time, I make Meringue Mice. They are fun and 0% fat treats. It alows me to give them something lighter since they receive a considerable amount of chocolate gifts from family and friends.

This is my entry for Plum's Cooking For Children (C4C) event. I love this idea of a "kid's friendly cooking" event !

Meringue Mice

1 cup sugar
4 egg whites
2 drops freshly squeezed lemon juice

The instructions are given for a standing mixer (Kitchenaid style) but you can make the mice simply using an electric whisk. It will work perfectly fine.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 150 F.

Combine the sugar, egg whites, and lemon juice in the bowl of an electric mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, about 3 minutes; rub the mixture between your fingers to test.

Transfer bowl to the mixer stand fitted with the whisk attachment, or alternatively, remove from heat and continue the beating using an electric whisk.


Beat on medium speed for 10 minutes.

Increase to high speed and beat until stiff glossy peaks form, 10 to 15 minutes more.

Add vanilla; mix until combined.

Place in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe meringue, forming a drop like shape (for the body of the mice) on the prepared baking sheets.

Press a licorice candy "thread" at the pointy end to mimic the mice tails. Use tiny decorative candies for the eyes and tip of the nose. Sliced almonds make perfect ears.


Bake until the meringue is dry in the center and a mouse can be lifted easily from the parchment paper, 1 to 2 hours.

Idea and recipe found a few years ago on a Martha Stewart Living Magazine

11 comments:

plum said...

They are so adorable I want to eat one now! And thank you for contributing to CFC's first event!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. And very cute looking treats.

lost in thoughts said...

Forgot to enter my blogID :

"What a great idea. And very cute looking treats. "

Journal Actif said...

Plum, it's my pleasure. Thank *you* for such a nice event.

Hi Spicehut. That's exactly what I thought when I saw them on the magazine.

Anonymous said...

Hi zoubida ,
Yor recipe is really super.I will try this one day and give credit to you.Thanks

rlf said...

They are very cute!

Pille said...

Very cute! My two nephews would like them!

Journal Actif said...

Kids go crazy for them Pille. I make double or triple recipe to accomodate their success.

yum said...

Wow, I love that idea! They are too cute!

K and S said...

so cute!!

tasteofbeirut said...

what a great idea! My kids would love it and they are grown!